Sunday, July 20, 2014

The type really pulls the room together

I'm pleased to report that the printing of the 21 plant specimens is complete.

So, after many agonizing months of type drama and delay (set, proof, reject, recast. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Honestly, hot pokers forced under my fingernails may have been less painful) the printing of the type is well underway.

There are three types of text: short prose poems about my connection to the landscape in 12pt California Old Style italic, 10pt herbarium collection data and 12pt roman main text with information about the plants and natural and local history.

There are quite a few printing tasks ahead. 36pt California Old Style italic plant species names and heads printed over the wood type. Background plant images for folios 1 and 2. Small caps half-title and chapter openings. Title page. Small cap collection dates. Prints and map to accompany the deluxe edition. In order words, I still have a way to go.

Oh yeah, and then there's the binding.

















4 comments:

  1. Looking so beautiful, Rebecca! My what a lot of work you have done in the past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially proud and excited as this is the community where I live and have reluctantly begun to take walks with you and the dogs here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luscious and beautiful. I can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete