Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Binding dummies - Ben Elbel's dos Rapporte

I settled on a drum leaf text block so that I could slip the translucent overlay containing the poem inside the foredge between pages. 

That left a lot of possibilities open for the binding of the book. The first think I wanted to try was a dos rapporte binding that I learned in a workshop. the dos rapporté binding is a spine construction developed by Benjamin Elbel that provides books with a great opening and a sleek contemporary character. 

The spine construction. Because it folds back on itself the spine is tricky.



the half of the end sheet folio that is closest to the cover is trimmed and the spine is lined with Jaconnet.









Alas, as lovely as this binding worked and looked, I decided that it would be too much work to edition.


No comments:

Post a Comment